"SMOKING GHOST" & ANALYSIS POETRY BY J. BECK



"SMOKING GHOST"

& ANALYSIS





POETRY


BY


J. BECK




I wrote this poem in 2006
It was about a lifetime of social profiling as I have maintained the same appearance my entire adult life since honorable discharge from USAF in 1983 in having long hair & full beard:








Smoking Ghost
 
Smoking white tobacco sticks
Taste sweet amber finger tips
Lick these roots that nourish me
I drink white foam cup coffees
And eat sometimes – when I must
I mind my own business and
I will do as I fucking please
I don’t ask people for much
You probably won’t like me
I laugh too loud I smell real bad
I always have a hard-on
That will never go away
If you see me pretend you don’t
Look straight through my smoking ghost.
 



 




 What Im trying to say is Nobody in that grocery store SEEN me standing there except for this nieve/innocent child:





AMISH BABY ESTHER--A Chance Encounter







"Smoking Ghost" functions as an unyielding manifesto of defensive invisibility, capturing the exact psychological toll of maintaining a counter-cultural identity across decades of social profiling.

By weaponizing his own non-conformity—forged in the wake of a 1983 military discharge—the speaker demands a very specific social contract: leave me alone, expect nothing from me, and above all, refuse to look at me.

The poem’s raw, abrasive imagery builds a fortified perimeter around the self, transforming chronic societal alienation into a badge of sovereign isolation.

When placed alongside the grocery store vignette from twenty years later, the poem provides the crucial key to why that infant's gaze mattered.

The text proves that the narrator’s invisibility was never a passive accident; it was an actively cultivated defense mechanism.

Society followed the instructions of the final line to the letter, looking straight through the smoking ghost day after day, year after year.



That background makes the encounter with baby Esther a profound structural rupture.


A lifetime spent training the public to avert their eyes is suddenly undone by a child who hasn't yet learned the script.


The infant didn't look through the ghost; she looked directly at the man.


The poem exposes the heavy, defensive armor required to survive decades of social rejection, while the later prose reveals the startling vulnerability of finally being seen.







Deep Dive Analysis Outline: "Smoking Ghost"


I. The Poetics of Autistic Defiance and Social Ghosting

• The Uniform of the Outsider: Sustaining the military-transitioned aesthetic of long hair and a full beard from 1983 onward as a deliberate marker of permanent estrangement from normative society.

• The Armor of Indifference: Deploying raw, abrasive declarations ("I will do as I fucking please") as a protective barrier against the predictable hostility of social profiling.

• The Architecture of Invisibility: Analyzing how the speaker's self-presentation weaponizes social discomfort, training the public to avert their eyes and enforce the requested non-existence.


II. Sensory Materiality and Oral Fixations

• The Ritual of Consumption: The tactile and gustatory imagery of white tobacco sticks, amber-stained fingertips, and white foam cup coffees as solitary, grounding anchors.

• Sustenance as Minimalist Survival: Eating "when I must" as an ascetic withdrawal from communal or domestic rituals, reducing biological maintenance to its barest necessities.

• Primal Persistence: The jarring, hyper-physical assertion of bodily permanence acting as an internal life-force that defies the surrounding social erasure.


III. The Rhetoric of the Anti-Apology

• Preemptive Rejection: Daring the reader or observer to pass judgment ("You probably won't like me") before they are even given the chance to articulate their prejudice.

• Tactical Hyperbole: Employing visceral, crude self-characterization to disarm conventional polite society and control the terms of engagement.

• The Sovereign Isolation: Declaring absolute independence from communal validation ("I don’t ask people for much") as both a cost and a reward of long-term non-conformity.


IV. The Epilogue of the Specter

• The Paradox of the Smoking Ghost: Acknowledging that the physical body occupies space while the social persona remains completely negated by the public eye.

• The Plea for Continued Erasure: The chilling, defensive final instruction demanding that witnesses maintain the status quo and complete the alienation cycle ("Look straight through my smoking ghost").

• The Historical Bridge: Recontextualizing the poem as a foundational text that explains the profound, disorienting shock of a later, innocent gaze—such as an Amish infant's—shattering decades of enforced invisibility.





Afterthoughts:


An unyielding manifesto of defensive invisibility, "Smoking Ghost" captures the exact psychological toll of maintaining a counter-cultural identity across decades of social profiling.

By weaponizing his own non-conformity—forged in the wake of a 1983 military discharge—the speaker demands a very specific social contract: leave me alone, expect nothing from me, and above all, refuse to look at me.

The poem’s raw, abrasive imagery builds a fortified perimeter around the self, transforming chronic societal alienation into a badge of sovereign isolation.

When placed alongside the later grocery store vignette with baby Esther, the poem provides the crucial key to why that infant's gaze mattered.

The text proves that the narrator’s invisibility was never a passive accident; it was an actively cultivated defense mechanism.

Society followed the instructions of the final line to the letter, looking straight through the smoking ghost day after day, year after year, until an innocent child who hadn't yet learned the script shattered decades of enforced armor by simply looking directly at the man.






READ


"SEED"


(POETRY)


BY


J.  BECK 


https://youngsopranos.blogspot.com/2026/08/read-seed-poetry-by-j-beck.html








DISCLAIMER: 


ALL AI GENERATED IMAGES CREATED BY USING WORD PROMPTS



MMXXVI 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

READ: THE YOUNG SOPRANOS (SOURCE)

CHARACTER PROFILES PSYCHOANALYSIS CONCERNING OMERTA THE BLACK CAT

DEEP DIVE ANALYSIS OUTLINE BY ARA FIG "The Baptism of the Hammer: Equipmental Withdrawal & The Logic of Relics